Up to 18 students are admitted to Year 7 each September on the basis of aptitude in music. Your child can qualify for a music aptitude place at Chelsea Academy wherever you live and whichever school they attend.
Successful music scholars admitted in Year 7 are offered:
- Additional music lessons each week
- Access to free and/or subsidised individual music lessons
- A dedicated Music Mentor
- Masterclasses, workshops and regular performance opportunities
- Access to excellent, state-of- the-art music facilities
- Opportunities with major London musical institutions
In return we have high expectations of our music scholars, including compulsory attendance at the Academy orchestra and choir, performing at Academy and community functions, GCSE Music as a Key Stage 4 option choice, and to act as ambassadors for Music and the Arts both within and outside the Academy. We recommend you consider carefully if your child has a real aptitude for and interest in music before applying.
The deadline for applications for music aptitude places for Year 7 in September 2021 is Monday 12th October at 5pm
The test consists of a multiple-choice listening and aural discrimination assessment covering elements such as recognising rhythmic and melodic changes, identifying changes in pitch and identifying parts in a chord. This is then followed by a group aural test where candidates sing/play back melodic patterns and clap and sing back the rhythmic pattern of a melody – similar to ABRSM aural tests. The test is designed to assess aptitude, rather than ability, and therefore there is no need to have any prior knowledge of music notation or to practice anything beforehand.
We will email you with your child’s score by Thursday 29th October.
Music scholar places will be offered in March 2021 in descending order of test score to those who meet the qualifying mark. Any applicant not offered a music place will automatically be considered under all other admission criteria.
To apply for a music scholar place you must:
- Apply as normal through your borough of residence ensuring that you name Chelsea Academy on your list of school preferences
- Click here and fill in the online supplementary form to register your child for the Music Aptitude test.
If you have any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org